Sunday, May 15, 2016

Thing 19: Social Reading & Book Stuff

It made sense that this lesson started with Goodreads; it has been my number one resource for cataloging my books and reading book reviews for years.  I started out with Library Thing for cataloging my books, but gravitated to Goodreads, which seemed more user-friendly (particularly for mobile devices.  Anyway, when I read about the Goodreads widget, I was happy to add it to this blog and I plan to add it to my school library webpage too.  I have showed my students this site numerous times, especially when they want to know what book comes next in a series; all they need to do is find the author profile and scroll down to the books written by him or her.  I check reviews for numerous reasons, but I really love it for perspective - seeing both the positive and negative comments helps me moderate discussions in both adult and teen book clubs. There are so many different ways to interpret a story and share other related information (similar books, movies, authors, places, historical events, etc.).  Goodreads is bookmarked on my laptop, and desktop; I also use the Goodreads app on my iPhone.
Libary Reads was a new site to me and I have bookmarked it into my "Book Reviews" folder with the intention of checking it for new titles.  The top ten titles looked really interesting and in the future, I would love to contribute to this social recommendation site.  Now I just need more time to read!

I have opened an account with Net Galley for advance reading of new titles, but I have an issue with the fact that I have 2 kindle accounts and I am trying to correct that with Amazon.  Net Galley needs the address of the device(s) I plan to use.  I hope to talk with them again tomorrow when my little-used kindle is fully charged.  I use the kindle app most of the time on my smartphone or my iPad and apparently I inadvertently opened a second account.  It will be good to get this straightened out!  To be honest, I really prefer paper books, but I know how important it is to stay on top of current technology and use eBooks too.  The Book Bub was a great resource for discounted eBooks and after signing up for an account, I receive daily emails with the really good pricing deals - this will encourage me to get back into the eBooks!

I have an Overdrive account, but I've used it mostly to get audio books onto my phone ('love audio!).  Downloading books is easy, but I tend to forget about them and they expire before I finish them.  If I could renew the eBooks, I may be more likely to borrow them.  For now, borrowing eBooks just doesn't work for me.  I do recommend them to others though.

I started a new folder in my bookmarks for Spartan Guides, which was so fully loaded with useful library information, that it will take me some time to sort out the things that I can use.  Thanks for posting - love LibGuides!

Common Sense Media is a wonderful site, but it is geared towards parents, teachers and librarians that have children under 14 years of age.  As a high school librarian, the reviews and ratings on books and movies were pretty limited.  Still, I liked the variety of "best of" lists for titles.  I did use this site when I worked with younger students and the app worked really well (although it does take up a lot of storage space on your phone).  


1 comment:

  1. Soooo many books, so little time! I've been hoarding ebooks. Especially from netgalley. How maddening about the duplicate kindle account. Hope you were able to sort that out. Nice work on this post.

    ReplyDelete